Monday, June 25, 2018

How #NOTATISTE Helps People at #ISTE (and Vice Versa)

I attended my first ISTE (then NECC) in 2009 in Washington, D.C.  I was hooked & attended the next four in a row. When I couldn't go in 2014, I experienced true FOMO; when 2015 in Atlanta rolled around, I found #NOTatISTE.
One of the best things about ISTE is that it's not a conference that is over when it's over. The connections you make DO continue, even expand. I know that I'm still learning from some of the presenters I saw nine years ago. I even remember going to a "how to use twitter" session then; I'd had an account for a year, but wasn't quite sure what to do.



The #NOTatISTE community has grown so much (in large part due to Jen Wagner and Peggy George) that it is now helpful to those who ARE at ISTE. It seems to be easier for people #NOTatISTE to be in two places at once (try that in a crowded convention hall; sometimes it's even hard to stay in one place, let alone move). Those #NOTatISTE are curating as many resources as possible, which is helpful to those in attendance too. Many people who ARE at #ISTE go out of their way to share with the people who are not. As I write this, I'm actually in my hotel room in Chicago checking the different twitter streams, including #passthescopeedu. Anyone, whether at ISTE or not, will be able to check out the #NOTatISTE18 livebinder 

The essence of these communities: educators willing to share, and these efforts can increase our learning exponentially!



No comments:

Post a Comment